Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Why let rain ruin a fun filled day?

Can ya'll believe all the rain we have had?  I mean we can handle rain, but the thunder and lightening kind of puts a damper on things ya know?

Fourth of July fell on a Thursday this year.  We have church services on Thursday normally.  We asked nicely and got permission from our pastor to let us have a youth night instead of a regular service.  We haven't gotten to do much with our youth at church because when we plan stuff we normally get rained out or something comes up unexpectedly and we have to cancel.  They have been dissappointed over and over again.  So on Thursday morning the rain began to fall.  It rained and rained and rained.  I asked Maynard if we were going to have to cancel our plans for the night.  I dreaded it.  I did not want our youth being dissappointed again.  His reply was, "We are gonna have a waterslide anyway so it's not like they aren't going to want to get wet.  So who cares if it rains, we are still going on as planned."

I made us a big breakfast for the Fourth.  We rarely eat breakfast like this so my family was excited!




After breakfast we got busy planning for our youth festivities.  I was in charge of getting the ice at sonic.


For the life of me this pic will not rotate properly.
 If you can possibly tell what happened here, I was given 2 bags of crushed ice through my van window.  One bag just happened to not be securely fastened and I was given an ice bath.  This is an after picture of me already stepping out of the vehicle.  I was covered in ice.  It was literally everywhere.  Too bad it was such a cool Fourth of July or that may have actually felt good.  And a big "YOU'RE WELCOME" to all the people in their vehicles surrounding me who really needed a good laugh that day.

Finally!  Let's go play in the rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you know that heavy rain falling on a makeshift waterslide makes it even better than just a water hose or sprinkler?





We could not keep the boys off.  We tried to split the boys and girls up, but they kept reappearing.  For some reason I mainly only have videos of the girls coming down.  I love how we just put 2 tarps down and a waterhose and rain, and the kids seriously played on it for hours.

They took a small break to have a water balloon fight.  I spent FOREVER filling water balloons up and they were all gone in less than 3 minutes.  I didn't get very good pictures of that because it was all a blur.

We had built a fire to roast marshmellows and hot dogs, but that wasn't going so well in the pouring rain so we had to fix them inside our sunday school building.

Look at my perdy patriotic strawberries.
After everyone ate, a monsoon of rain became more like tornados touching around us.  Our phones were going off like crazy and things started getting greenish, dark looking.  We hollered for everyone to get in the church quick.  So here we all stood, most the kids soaking wet, in the foyer of the church.  We got most of them changed and into dry clothes while we were waiting for the storm to pass.

Then we went back to our Sunday School building and played games with them.  I don't know what you call them, but like prank games I guess.  We had a blast.

This was our game of our Elephant prank.  A big thank you goes out to Bro. and Sis. Allen.  They made a great elephant. Ha Ha

We played several and finally it was after 10 and the parents were wanting to get the kiddos home and into bed so we had to call it quits for the night.  Of course, there were no fireworks because it was raining too hard.

I'm just glad we went ahead and didn't cancel their fun night.  They all had a blast and was sore from the slip and slide the next day too.

Here's pics of my kid's with sparklers the next night at their Mamaw's house.




Hope everyone had a good Fourth in spite of all the rain.

4 comments:

  1. Now that's what you call making lemonade out of lemons!! If I had been there I would have been right in the middle! Love it! The simple things are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about memories! I just love it when something turns out good on a rainy day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madison absolutely LOVED IT!!!!She has talked and talked about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madison is great. We already include her in our plans. Ha

      Delete