Friday, April 3, 2015

Overdosing my kids per the Dr's orders.


I was for sure and positive my kids just had viral colds. Titus ran a fever one evening earlier in the week. I gave him Motrin and he went straight to bed. Woke up declaring he felt just fine and never ran a fever again. 

Friday morning Josiah woke up with a high fever and sore throat. He missed his first full day of school, but he too felt fine by that evening. 
Come Saturday both boys had red eyes. 

So I was like okay these kids have pink eye. Their throats and ears started hurting really bad on Saturday and then I just knew it was strep. 

Sunday morning they continued to feel worse so we didn't take them to church, but instead to a brand new urgent care. 

They tested negative for strep, but they both had really bad ear infections. Titus had double ear infections. 
The dr said it wasn't pink eye, but infection from the ears seeping out of their eyes. Yuck, I know. 

I was tickled to death with this urgent care. We were in and out in less than 30 minutes. So very nice. 

We went to CVS and got their medicine. 
Their bag contained 14 syringes. I remember thinking that was a lot of syringes, but I never really questioned the dosage amounts. My boys are bigger boys, therefore it would make sense if they took a higher dose of liquid medicine. 

Josiah was taking 70 Mls a day and Titus was taking 48 Mls a day. I gave it to them faithfully for 4 days. 

On the 4th day I got a phone call from CVS. They wanted to know if my boys were showing any unusual symptoms such as kidney or bowels. To my knowledge they hadn't. The only thing I noticed was Josiah was a walking zombie. Even his teacher asked me about it. 
They went on to let me know that the Dr they had seen on Sunday had written the incorrect dosage on their prescriptions. In fact they each should have only been taking 12 Mls a day. As I said earlier Josiah was taking 70 and Titus 48. That's quite a bit difference. I was feeling myself begin to panic. 
CVS said everything had been taken care of and the Dr had been notified of the error and blah blah blah. Sorry. I still wasn't feeling any better about the situation.  I almost feel like CVS was partial to blame as well. I mean, shouldn't that have been a red flag to them as they were filling the medication?  I told them I was calling my pediatrician right away. 

The kid's pediatrician was not happy. He told me to lessen the amount to what it needed to be and keep an eye on their bowels and kidney function. If they didn't show any symptoms presently then he didn't see a need to do any further testing. 

Maynard and I both agreed to not give them anymore medicine at all. Hopefully their ears will heal up on their own without any more medicine. I mean they already had their full dose in only 4 days instead of 10. 

It's been a week now and I've been getting these text messages on my phone. 
What?  More medicine?  Are they trying to kill my kids or what??

Apparently, they re-entered the correct dosages into they system and the system thought it was a refill. I am still not happy about all this confusion. 

I am very thankful that CVS found this error before my kids could have been hurt or made really sick from taking too much medicine. 

I have learned to always question the Dr and the dosage of medicines from now on. 

Everyone makes mistakes, even drs and pharmacies.

No comments:

Post a Comment