Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Back to school 2015-2016

I intended on doing this post a lot sooner being that we are now on our 3rd week of school. Better late than never.....

Our kids started back to school on Monday, August 10, 2015. 

Josiah was so ready to go back to school. He is my social bug and couldn't wait to see all his friends. He also just loves school. This year he is in the 4th grade. Why does 4th grade seem so grown-up to me?
I'm using the picture his teacher sent me. Somehow she can get a better smile from him than I can. Josiah has the same teacher again this year, Sis. Lisa Schooley. He loves her and likes that she gives him responsibilities. It gives him self-worth. He likes being treated like a "big" kid. 

Titus was a little more hesitant about going back to school. He wasn't ready for summer break to be over with. He would get so frustrated with Josiah because Josiah kept talking about not being able to wait to get back. Then Amelia would get excited and I caught Titus, a time or two, trying to discourage her. I heard him say "You won't like school, Amelia. Just wait until you get hard spelling lists like I get. Then you will have to memorize verses."  Amelia didn't believe him. Ha ha 
I think Titus finally got excited about school when we went school shopping for supplies. Once he had his supplies, he was ready to go back to school. 
Titus is now in 2nd grade. His teacher is the same as he had for 1st grade, Sis. Joanna Bowman. 

Now on to Amelia!  My oh my!  Was this little girl excited to start school??  She could hardly think of anything else other than starting Kindergarten. She wasn't going to let Titus dishearten her a bit. She was ready. 
School supply shopping was a lot of fun with her. Can anyone guess what backpack she chose??  No really!  Can you guess??

Princesses for the win!!  It also has ruffled lace and lights up. Oh dear!  She also already had a princess lunchbox that matches perfectly. 

There was only one time that she had her doubts for school. It was about a week or less before school started that she got up out of bed and came to talk to me. She was trying not to cry and said, "I'm excited about school some days, but some days I'm not."
I asked her what made her not excited about school. 
"I'm really going to miss you, Mommy."  Be still my heart. So now I'm trying not to cry as I explained that she gets to go only for a little while and her brothers have to go ALL day!  This made her laugh and she cheered up and went back to bed. She never again mentioned being sad. 

Just look at her being a big Kindergartener now!!

We took a few pictures before we left for school on the first day. For some reason I completely forgot about being a cool Mom and using our chalkboards like we did the previous year. I was a bit frazzled trying to get 3 kids out the door and all 3 kids decided none of their shoes fit. Amelia didn't like the fact she couldn't wear flip flops and could she just pack them in her backpack for break??

Hard to believe all 3 of my babies are in school now!!

Had to recreate the boy's annual back to school picture. I didn't get the pose right this year because I was still frazzled and in a hurry. 

 Here's a collage of this year and previous years. 
They are growing up!!

We got to school and they all went straight to their classes. Amelia was being a little shy, but she was ready to start the day. 

I left the school building feeling a little bittersweet, but also looking forward to 4 whole hours of time to myself. For 10 years now I have taken kids with me to my Dr's appts, took them all to the grocery store, ran errands together, and paid bills. They have always been with me. If not all 3 then at least one was with me almost always. Now I had 4 hours a day, 5 times a week to get those errands done. I've had bloodwork done and had Dr's appts the last couple of weeks all by my lonesome and it's kind of been nice. I know all you homeschool Mom's out there probably just gasped at those last few lines, but when you don't have family nearby to help out, things get hard when you tagalong 3 kids everywhere. Mine are a little older now and it's not been as rough, but they still have their days!!  That doesn't mean I love them any less. I can't wait to see them after the school day. By then my errands are done and I can focus on them. Supper, homework, baths......
So back to that first day........

I came straight home and went to bed. Lol. Seriously. I'm not even lying. I played on my phone and took a nap. It was really really quiet. I heard lots of noises I don't normally hear. I even was spooked a few times. Ha ha. That goes to show you that I'm rarely ever alone. 

Amelia was insistent that morning that if she didn't get a "demerit" could she have a slush after school that day.  When I picked her up that was the first thing she said. 
Me:  Hi, Amelia. How was your first day?
Amelia. Good. Can we go to "sonix"?

I decided she needed to eat lunch first so I took her to her favorite restaurant. Ya'll want to guess on that one too??

 Mexican!  "Don't tell the boys, right mom?"
 I thought she would forget about the slush, but she didn't. I took her to Kmart since apparently none of her shoes fit her. Somehow her feet took a growth spurt and the shoes that were perfect for school pinched her toes when she wore them with socks. We found a good deal on shoes and she ended up with 3 pairs and a slushie from the Kmart concession stand. It was hard not to spoil her that day because she was just being so cute. Oh. Funny story. It was time for me to go to school an hour before pick up to clean the school kitchen. I pulled in Sonic to get myself a slush during Happy Hour and Amelia asked me what I was doing. 
"Mom, why are we here?  I already had a slush."
"I want one before I clean the kitchen because I'm thirsty. 
"Mom!  You can just get a drink from the water fountain at school."
Ha ha. She cracked me up!  Here I had spoiled her all afternoon and I only deserved a drink from the water fountain at school. 

After cleaning the kitchen it was time to go. The boys had a good day as well and had lots of stories to tell. 

That night I was getting uniforms together and I asked Amelia if she wanted to wear a jumper or skirt the next day. She said, "Why?  Where are we going?" Ha ha. Umm... Sorry, Amelia, but this school thing is Mon-Fri. I guess she thought she only had to go one day. I'm not sure what she was thinking. 

Thursday, Amelia got to be the Line Leader. Oh my!  She was absolutely tickled pink to be the line leader and looks forward to it every single turn she gets. 

They had a good week and were all excited about Friday. Friday was Farm Day for Amelia and Titus and they got to dress up as farmers. Josiah was having a back to school picnic so he got to have a casual day as well. 


Farmer girl with her Hay bales "rice Krispy treats". 

We took a few pictures outside before we left. 

Amelia is actually holding her back pack straps, but looks like she's ready to deck somebody. 

I went to school early to help set up Josiah's class party. I got busy and didn't get any pictures except of the table. 
 
Here's a group picture of Amelia's class. Her little friend dressed up as a piggy. 

Here they are having a picnic. 
Titus' friend brought her chickens to Farm Day. Lol


I'm so thankful they had a good first week. I give thanks to the Lord for supplying the financial need that we had to send our kids to school this year. I'm still amazed how the Lord moved. My new favorite quote comes from Bro. Shelton. "If it's God's will, He'll pay the bill."

Makes it even more worth it when you find these letters your kids left you on the first day of school. 
(Thank you for letting us go to school.)

My kids realize it's a blessing to go to. Christian  school. 

3 comments:

  1. Amy if I had the chance to pick teachers for my children I think I would pick exactly the 3 yours have! Those are 3 godly and amazing women!

    ReplyDelete