Friday, April 6, 2012

Titus takes another trip to ER

This is Titus! He is 4 years old.  I'm not sure if it's the middle child syndrome or what, but this child literally keeps me on my toes.  He is so tenderhearted, kind, and for the most part uses his manners. BUT.........he the most "adventurous" child I have ever seen.  He loves danger, or so it seems anyways. I'll start with our most current trip to the ER, which was just a few days ago.

"Mom, there's something in my nose."
I have him tip his head back and I check in there and tell him it's probably just allergies or dried boogers.
"No, Mom.  I do have something in my nose and it's a bandaid."
"Titus, did you stick a bandaid in your nose?"
"Yes."
"Why, did you do that?"
"I don't know."

So Maynard goes to work making him hold one side of his nostril and blow really hard. 
Titus said, "It came out Dad, here it is."
He bends down and picks up something that appears to be a small peice of cheese.
I said, "Titus, that is cheese.  Did you you put cheese in your nose too?"
"Yes, and a bandaid."

So, I called the hospital to ask to speak to the pediatrician on call.  Of course, they want to know what is going on so I explain the bandaid in the 4 yr old's nose and they say he needs to be brought on in.

For some reason, I am not alarmed at all.  It strikes me funny and Maynard is absolutely livid and tore to peices, and yet, I laugh!!! Then Titus begins to gag and throwing up.  Then it's not funny anymore and I see the need that we better get him to the hospital soon.

They take him straight back to triage and start checking his vitals.  3 times he sounded the alarms on the oxygen level monitor thingee.  I said, "what's going on?" 
The nurse said, "Oh, these machines say he is in distress, but that can't be right becuase he is too pink for that. 
So now, Momma is in distress!!!!
The nurse finally gets a good reading and she lets me know that Titus is truly ok, and he's breathing and his heart is beating just fine.
They take him back to a room and he is scared to death of the hospital bed.  He seen a friend of ours get thrown off of a horse and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital.  Ever since then he is tramautized of hospital beds.  So we waited patiently in the chair for the Dr to come in which didn't take long.  After about 347 questions from Titus, the dr finally came in to my rescue.  He checked his nose and came to the conclusion that Titus must have swallowed the bandaid because he didn't see it anywhere.  He said that was probably why Titus was gagging and trying to throw up was because the bandaid had went down his throat.  The other option was that I needed to keep an eye on him and make sure the bandaid didn't travel down to his lungs.  So I'm watching for pnuemonia symptoms for that, but I believe he did swallow it.  I was supposed to take him back to his pediatrician, but it would be a wasted trip so I didn't go.

Oh, and about the cheese part? I didn't mention that to the dr because I was too embarassed.  We just went with the bandaid.  Maynard said I should have asked for a body scan because we do have a lot of things missing around the house!! ha!!!!

For those of you who don't know about our other ER trip, I'll sum that up real quick.  I was visiting my parents house in order to attend my Mamaw's funeral 2 years ago.  While we were getting ready for the funeral, Titus ventured in my mom's room and finished off her bottle of sleeping pills.  So, instead of attending my mamaw's funeral we were at the hospital!!!  Titus was ok and for the record, he never fell asleep until about 3 o'clock that morning.  Medicine that is supposed to make you drowsy does the opposite affect on him.  Benadryl knocks me out for 2 days, so he totally gets this from my mom.  She is the same way!!


                                                     Everything is a drum wherever we go.


I'm afraid Amelia is following close in his footsteps.  These 2 are quite the handful.  This is a playday while Josiah was at school. "SSSHHHH, don't tell."




                                               I love her long hair just hanging in this picture.


It suprises me how Titus can ride a bike, and even swing all by himself.  It's weird how all your kids are different.  Josiah still has to have help doing everything.  Titus is usally desparate if he asks for help.

Have a great weekend and Happy Easter. 
Keep the bandaids and sleeping pills put up!

7 comments:

  1. Oh Titus, Titus!! I love this kid!! He truly is a sweet, warm and loving child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! The conversation between you & Titus was hilarious! Glad he's fine. Adventurers have to be tough little dudes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha! He cracks me up. Did he put the band aid in there to stop a nose bleed by chance? Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motherhood.....Ahhhh...what a wonderful adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!! I have taken many trips to the ER with Jamin, he's always getting hurt. The other day he came home from school with 2 black eyes!!!!!! There is never a dull moment being a mom. Especially when you have a son named Titus, apparently! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am cracking up! And praying that Malachi doesn't become best friends with him. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, didn't know about the band aid, I have heard of crayons and candy up the nose, but band aid,that's a first! He is sweet and polite, but dangerous around anything, he could not be my kid, I would have hyperventilated right off the bat,lol.

    ReplyDelete