Friday, March 7, 2014

Amelia's 4 yr check-up

The dreaded visit had come. 

4 yr old check-up=shots. 

Amelia done great with her flu shot so I kind of thought that she would do ok with her vaccinations. 

She weighed 49 lbs and was 45 1/2" tall.  Believe it or not she was actually in the 95% for her heighth. She has always been off the charts before. 

Her check-up went great. I did mention how she had been crying with her legs a lot hurting her.  He mentioned it was possibly just growing pains, but he would prefer to have bloodwork drawn to rule out anything more serious. 

After the dr went out the nurse came in with needles and Amelia wigged out. I told her the nurse had really cool band aids for her if she took her shot like a big girl. I still had to hold her down. She screamed and big tears streamed down her face. She sat back up to see her bandaids and was very angry. 
"They aren't princess bandaids."
"Yeah, but they are really cool Daffy Duck ones."
"I DIDN'T WANT DAFFY DUCK BANDAIDS. I WANTED PRINCESS BANDAIDS!!!"

Then we left the exam room as she continued to run her mouth at how girls like princess bandaids and not duck bandaids. The check out clerk offered her a sucker that I had to politely refuse do to dye allergies. Well that made her even more mad. 
"Can I have a sticker?"
"Sorry, sweetie. We are all out of stickers today."
"WAH!!!"

Oh the injustice for a 4 yr old. 

We got in the vehicle to leave and I drove straight to the hospital. I was trying to figure out how I was going to talk her into cooperating to have bloodwork drawn right after getting 2 shots 30 minutes prior. 

It ended up not being too bad. They did have to call for help to hold her down, but it could have been worse. She grabbed my hand and covered her eyes. She decided she like the nice ladies because they kept telling her how pretty she was and how they liked her dress. 

She kept begging to ride the elevators so I mean that was the least I could do considering all she had been through that day. We rode around awhile and then spent a lot of time looking at a brand new baby in the nursery. 

We even took a walk around the pond and enjoyed the weather. 

I took her to the store and actually paid $3 for a Barbie juice bottle. She still loves that cup. As matter of fact she is drinking out of it right now. That seemed to make up for all the injustice she had to fave that day. A $3 juice was totally worth it!!!

I am very thankful for my healthy children. I don't ever want to take their good health for granted. That's something that could change in a moment and we never know how God protects them and keeps them each day. 

Amelia's bloodwork ended up being just fine. She is just going through a growing spell so that's why her legs have been hurting so much. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that it all worked out ok. And thankful that she is healthy. Achy legs=growing pains around here. I love that dress!

    ReplyDelete