Friday, May 30, 2014

Awards service 2014

Awards service has come and gone. Josiah gets a little lazy when it comes to memorizing his scriptures for school and sometimes I'd rather have my eye teeth pulled than to study with him. This years scripture memory was Matthew chapter 5,6, and 7. Goals were set to earn a smaller trophy, but in order to get the big trophy you had to be able to quote each chapter at a time.  Josiah would start to whine about studying and I would say, "It's ok, Josiah. I don't feel like studying either. You don't really need that big trophy anyway so just don't worry about it."   
That would do the trick every single time. Knowing he would get a big trophy at the end of the school year kept him studying. I would get so frustrated with him when he would forget words or mix them up. Then I would feel bad because I couldn't say any of them, but here he was quoting whole chapters at a time. I think out of the whole school only 15 students earned that big trophy. From 1st to 12th grade. It made every minute of studying worth it. 

He also won awards for the Honor roll all 4 quarters. He only made one B all year. He won the reading challenge award. We turned in that he had read 526 books. In all honesty, he probably read more than that, but we didn't keep track of every book because he was constantly reading everywhere we went. He also won the "preacher" award for his character award. His teacher said Josiah loved the bible and all bible stories. She said he even knew answers to bible trivia questions that the high school students didn't even know during chapel. That makes me proud!!!!!  Yeah the academic awards are pretty important, but loving God and His word will take him so much further in life.  He ended up with 3 trophies, a medallion, and certificates. 
 I got to add also that I was humiliated that Josiah's pants were so short that morning on his awards service. He has gotten so tall this year. Everytime he got up to get an award I would cringe because his pants were so short. Oh well. No way was I gonna buy new uniforms that late in the year. Lol

Now on to Titus........
Titus had waited 2 years now to win a trophy. He remembered Josiah's first awards service and he couldn't wait to have one of his own. He was one extremely happy boy. As matter of fact, he and Josiah were up and dressed by 6:45 Friday morning before my alarm even went off. I don't think that happened all year. 


Titus also won an award for scripture memory. They learned several passages throughout the year. I worried and worried about him not being able to memorize his verses. I pretty much sent Titus to school barely knowing how to write his name. Josiah started Kindergarten already knowing how to read. Titus is the middle child though. Ha ha. 
Anyway, Titus really amazed me at how well he did. He cracked me up with his verses. Not only did he just say them, he said them with such expression. Then he would tell us where the verse was found. More than once he would speak up and quote a verse and where it was found, in a situation to where it was needed. It was pretty neat for him to not only memorize the verse, but also know what it meant and how to use it. 
I also worried at how well academically he would do. I kept comparing him to Josiah and how Josiah caught on to stuff so quickly. Titus seemed to catch on more slowly. I even only paid for half the year for him at registration in case I had to pull him out and teach him at home. Isn't that awful of me???  He took to school like a duck to water. Now he doesn't like to read as much as Josiah does, and that's ok. As long as he knows how to read I'm totally fine with that. All that worrying was in vain. He done great in Every subject. Except maybe cursive writing. Yuck. He does need help with that, but goodness. Cursive writing in Kindergarten????
Titus got lots of awards as well. I can't wait to tell y'all what his first award was. Are y'all ready for this???
OBEDIANCE!!!!
Yep. You just read that correctly. 
His teacher, Mrs. Bowman, always told me how obedient Titus was. I just don't even understand. Apparently, Titus behaves more at school than he does at home. When I think of obedience, the name Titus does not come to mind. Ha ha
He also won the Bible award. Which is way neat because Josiah has won the bible award every year as well. Their teachers have always told me that every bible story they go to tell, my boy's hands shoot up and they declare they already know that story. Which if I was the teacher, that would get on my nerves after awhile. Ha
Titus also got an award for being "helpful". Now this is true. Titus is very helpful. This is not to be confused with cleaning. He does not clean, but he will be glad to help you gather your cleaning supplies. 
He won a medallion for being on the honor roll as well. He made all A's every quarter. He won a trophy for meeting the reading challenge. He also won a certificate for being exceptionally well in Social Studies. Titus is a history buff. He loves army stories and things like September 11th. 

The awards service lasted well over 2 hrs and I noticed Titus was getting antsy. I was so scared he was gonna start a hopscotch game with his classmates. 

I am super proud of my boys and I am so thankful for all their hardwork and the achievements that they made during this school year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment