Friday, November 14, 2014

A proud Mommy moment

We live in a world full of negativity. I am probably the worst. I'm pretty much a Debbie Downer. I always see the worst instead of the good. I really hate that about myself and maybe one day I can change. 

My kids have always been rambunctious and on the hyper side. But the truth is.....they enjoy life. The smallest and most simplest things of life excites them. Guess what?  I love it!!  I wouldn't have it any other way. (Most of the time, ha ha)

I have had several people come up to me lately and tell me how well behaved and well mannered my children are. Of course, I know that's not true all the time, but it sure felt good to be told that. 

I know I'm not the perfect parent and far from it. My children should be getting disciplined for something, but instead I'm laughing at them. That is my #1 fault as a parent. I can't help it. Anyway, that had nothing to do with my post, but it just came pouring out. Maybe one day my kids will look back and read my blog and see just how proud their Mom was of them. They are good kids, smart kids, and so loveable. 

I wanted to share a proud Mommy moment with you all that just happened yesterday. 

Yesterday morning as we were getting ready to leave the house I heard a dog barking outside. At first I thought it was our dog, but then realized that it was a bark I wasn't familiar with. I opened the front door to see this:

Maybe you think that's a cute dog, but I don't. That same dog has been in our yard before and chased Titus in the yard with a deep throat growl like he was gonna eat him up. The owner came right after that to pick it up. I asked him if the dog would bite and he said, "Well, only if you scare her."  That's all I needed to know. The dog bites. I've read about Pit Bulls and they can really hurt a person. 

So this was probably about 6 months ago and we hadn't seen the dog since. 

Until yesterday morning. 

How in the world was we gonna get passed this dog that was at my front porch to get to school?

The kids were upset and scared. Amelia began to cry and freak out. Of course she has reason to because she got attacked by a stray dog last year in our yard. She has a fear of big dogs now. I don't blame her. I was scared too, but didn't let them know. 

It finally came time to where we had to leave for school or we were gonna be late. The dog had finally wandered over to the swingset so we decided to make a run for it. The boys were to go to one side of the van and Amelia would go on my side and I would help her in. We were getting ready to go out and Amelia was trying to stop crying. She said, "Isaiah 43:5. Fear not for I am with thee."  She kept repeating it. I thought my heart would melt. I picked up a bible to turn to Isaiah 43:5 to see if she was right and she was!!!  I was amazed. Not only did she have the verse memorized and also where it is found, she knew how to use the scripture in her daily life. 

We all ran to the van and the dog did chase us. For some reason it was after Titus again. It would get right up to him, but then take a step back. I really feel like The Lord protected us that morning. I drove up to the neighbor's house and let them know they needed to go get their dog before it hurt my kids. 

So how does a 4 year old memorize scriptures?
She learned it in her pre-school curriculum. We spent $200 or so on the Abeka K-4 DVD homeschool curriculum for her. At first I felt like I had wasted my money because she wasn't getting it. She failed her first test and seemed to be clueless about everything. I was so frustrated. Then the last few weeks she just started catching on. It's finally clicked in her brain. She may not be completely on the other student's level in the class, but she's getting there. She has gone from not knowing how to write her name to not only writing her name, but also writing in cursive. She's learning her letters and how to sound out blends. Her favorite class is numbers. She thinks that is a lot of fun. When we first got started she hated her Bible class. That worried me because her brothers are all about Bible class. However, now she loves Bible  class. She can tell you bible stories and include every detail. She can quote the Lords Prayer, knows the Pledge of Allegiance, can sing The Star Bangled banner, and so much more. 
They learn a new bible verse every week. I didn't really think she was memorizing though, but she proved me wrong yesterday. 
So if she never learns how to read this year as a four year old, I'm ok with that. As much as she has learned already and knowing that she has verses memorized, makes the money we spent well worth it already. 

So if you're in a scary situation do what Amelia did. Quote Isaiah 43:5. "Fear not for I am with thee!" 

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love it when my children apply scriptures to their daily life. When we were in a tornado several years ago Abigail kept repeating over and over, "I trust in thee, O Lord". It melts your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Sunday school class just spent two weeks on studying that very verse. I actually used a true story of a mean dog going after a child and the child rebuking the dog in the name of Jesus. Way to go Amelia! Way to go to her parents for teaching her right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you! That's neat that you had been teaching on that very verse and about a mean dog as well!!

    ReplyDelete