Saturday, July 7, 2012

Get Ready, Get Set, Slip n Slide.


Oh what fun it is to slip n slide!  Especially on a home-made 100 ft slide.  Our Fourth of July celebration started last weekend.  We went home to visit my family over the weekend.  Some of their church folks had a little get together which included the water slide, hotdogs, popsicles, watermelon, and sweet tea! yay!!  If we could have turned down the temp about 20 degrees, it would have been perfect.  I slathered my kids down with sunblock at least every 45 mins to an hour.  Titus is allergic to sunblock, but I figured a few bumps were better than sun poisioning and blisters.  The kids played for at least 5 hours while the adults tried to supervise and stay cool, which was next to impossible.  The kiddos were knocking each other down and bumping into each other.  Which they couldn't help it because its kinda hard to steer while sliding down.  Kids would be walking up the slide while another group was sliding down and it was like playing dominoes with real live kids. Ha! After a few bumps and bruises, I think they finally realized it might be a good idea to walk in the grass back up the hill the next time.
                                                                    Here comes Titus.
                                       Here's Josiah in what appears to be a 3 kid pile-up. Ha!


Thank goodness for my mom.  She was great with the smaller kids.  Amelia took about 3 hrs to decide that she liked it after all.


So the guys decided that they had all they could stand.  They confiscated all my poor sister's dish detergent, and a brand new bottle of laundry detergent.  They started pouring it down the slide because they were really serious about this ya know.  Soon all the kiddos started piling out because their eyes were on fire and the guys pretty much had the slide to themselves now. Ha!  There were a few kiddos who kept coming back for more though.  My nephew Kamden put on his swimming goggles and continued to slide.  Smart boy. Ha! I won't even tell who whispered that idea in his ear.lol
So with all the detergents in the slide now the guys were having a blast.  They made it look so fun.  Of course us girls just sat by the wayside cheering them on.  Acting like we didn't even halfway want to get on that slide.  So I asked my sister Angela ever so quietly, "Um, so based on a percentage, how bad do you want to get on that slip n slide?"  Her answer? "Oh, I wouldn't mind it."  My reply, "Me either, lol."  So, we went and grabbed our bathing suits.  I'm a little reluctant to post our picture for all to see, but here goes.
Yep, there we are in our swimsuits.  lol  From left to right, My sister Christy, Blog friend Angie lol, my sister Angela (and also a blog friend), Lindsey (who I heard was a blog stalker, lol), and me!

I lost count how many times we went down that thing.  I had trouble at first.  I wasn't sliding all the way down.  I was getting frustrated until my Dad hollered out I needed to get all the way wet first.  So after I was soaked, I tried it again and, "wheeeee!"  It was so fun and it hurt so bad. Ha!  It would throw me to the side which was actually bales of hay and I would crack my elbow.  We had a few races, but I don't think I ever got to win.  Maybe once was all.  Amelia climbed up on my lap and she let me slide with her a few times, but I was so done after about an hour and she screamed wanting to go down more.  Isn't it funny how some kids wait until its time to leave before they decide they like something after-all?

So the next day I could barely walk or move.  My elbows were black and blue.  Josiah said his legs felt shakey and his muscles felt weird.  I felt worse as the day went.  I text Christy and told her I was either really sore or I was coming down with the flu.  She assured me everyone felt that way.  I wasn't in church with any of them, but I say it was kind of funny seeing some of them moving around really slow. Ha!

We had a great time and was thankful to be included in a fun weekend.  Thanks to Christy and Michael who put a lot of work and money into it.  Lots of memories and bruises were made that day.

Hope everyone had a great Fourth of July.  We spent the day at home and then went to Maynard's neice's birthday party.  My kids got to play with their cousins on the Parker side which they probably see less than my family who live over 2 hours away.
Here's a short clip of my hubby demonstrating the correct way to slip n slide!

5 comments:

  1. That was ALOT of fun! And yes, we all have bruises. Some adults were sitting on cusions Sunday morning...LOL (and not able to stand for scripture reading I heard..giggles)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT'S a slip-n-slide! Lovin' the sprinkler set-up...lol! We have my hubby to blame for me and the boys missing out on all the fun. (He decided to tell me we were invited at the last minute while he went to the lake!) We're still married though, no worries! (HaHa:) I can't say I'm sad about missing out on the bruises and soreness though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked where you was at. I thought Someone said ya'll was out of town. We missed ya!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a blast! Nothing like good ole fashioned clean fun!

    ReplyDelete