Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hot Wheels........For Real

Ever have those days where you have a ton of things to do, but nothing is going right and you feel like you are just going in circles?  I had a day just like that last Friday.  Our kids at church were having a thing at the park and I had to get a  few supplies together to bring, I needed to get a few items from the grocery store, and I needed to meet up with the lady who made Josiah's cake.  So, I am on the phone with the cake lady and we plan to meet up within the hour so I can get the cake.  In the mean time Maynard is calling me and said his car is acting up and I may have to drive to Lexington to pick him up.  So I start getting me and the kids ready when he calls back and says that he is going to continue to drive it on home and that he has almost made it to Livingston.  So while I am talking to him he said, "There it goes.  It just quit on me.  Umm, Amy, I think it might be on fire under the hood.  Yep, I think its on fire."
My reply? "SO GET OUT OF THE CAR, BUT FIRST TRY TO SAVE WHAT YOU CAN."
He tells me to come and get him so I call and postpone getting the cake and head to Livingston to get Maynard.  As I am stuck in traffic a fire truck passes me in the emergency lane before I even get out of London.  Hmm...... wonder where it's going?  Ha!
So I'm traveleing down 75 where I'm trying to locate exactly where Maynard is at, but it doesn't take me long to follow these black clouds of smoke to where I need to go.  I pulled over on the opposite side of the rd,  not knowing exactly what I needed to do.  So there I sat on the side of the interstate and took this picture ,which made a policeman come scream at me to get the "you know what" out of there.  I guess he thought I was a "gawker" instead of the poor man's wife who's car was now up in flames.

                                                   From across the median on the interstate.


    
                                                                      There she blows.

                                                                   And there she goes.

I was politely asked to go on down to the next exit and come back up to get Maynard and the stuff he salvaged out of his car.  I say politely because Maynard chilled the officer down that I was in fact his wife that was needing to know what to do and not just a "gawker" taking pictures.  I was about out of gas and the interstate was shut down so I went ahead and got gas before I went back to get Maynard.  Yeah, they were waiting on me, but if I didn't get gas soon we were going to be in a world of trouble.  I picked Maynard up and took him on to Corbin to finish his route for the day.  Luckily, my parents were in town for a campmeeting and I was able to get ahold of them to pick up Josiah from school.  When we picked Josiah up he looked at Maynard and said, "Did you get out in time, Dad?"  Ha Ha  A boy after my own heart.  I can see me asking someone something like that. lol

Now before ya'll start asking crazy questions like, "Did he have full coverage and all that stuff?"  The answer is "NO"!!!!!  I mean why put full coverage on a car he paid $300 for.  This car has been a blessing though.  Maynard has put I think about 75,000 miles on it himself and it is such a gas saver.  We were blessed though because Maynard was already in the process of buying another vehicle and was able to pick it up the next day.  We both think his little station wagon got it's feelings hurt over Maynard eyeing another vehicle.  So sad.  Ha!  All in all, things could have been a lot worse and I am very thankful that God watched over Maynard and allowed him to be safe during this fire.  I'm also thankful that Maynard didn't allow Titus to ride with him that day to work.  Maynard debated it and decided not to take him.  I'm glad because well, Titus plus fire, plus a busy interstate, well just equals even more disaster!!!

3 comments:

  1. Glad things were not any worse!! Jay was in a Big Rig truck fire several years ago, he says he still has back flashes every now and then from it....He is now called "Sparky". ha! I wonder what we could nick-name Maynard???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he got out, but that is crazy!

    ReplyDelete