Tuesday, July 22, 2014

When Jesus cuts it close

Back in May I blogged about the last of school activities and Titus' Kindergarten graduation. At then end of the post I mentioned asking for prayer that my kids would be able to come back to LCA the next year. We had been hit with a lot of financial strain when my mother in law passed away and Maynard had gotten laid off from his job so it was a tough year financially. We normally save our tuition ahead of time, but unfortunately had to live on it instead. Don't get me wrong. I'm thankful we had it because I'm not sure what would have happened otherwise. 
Maynard has since then found a pretty good job with Fed Ex, but hasn't gotten a full time route yet. We are surviving, but not thriving if that makes sense. We thought a route had opened up and were very excited. Not only did it mean more pay, but also Maynard would only have to work Mon-Fri. At the very last minute someone pulled "seniority" on Maynard and instead they were given the new route. We were really disappointed, but I know God has it worked out. 

After much prayer and worry, we finally decided to homeschool the kids. It wasn't something we were excited about, it just seemed our only option. We simply couldn't afford to send the kids back to school. 

We broke the news to the boys and it didn't go over very well. Josiah's heart was broken. He cried and cried. Titus was disappointed too, but he's so hard to read. Titus adjusts well to anything so he was ok with it, but he still preferred going back to school. 

I began to tell Josiah all the pros about being homeschooled. Before long I almost had us all convinced that we were going to love it. 

We went to an Abeka Homeschool Display to order our curriculum. As I walked down the hallway I felt a feeling a doom in my stomach. I couldn't explain it. 

Here we go. This was it. 

We walked in and the kids sat down and each watched excerpts of their class on DVD. Josiah walked over to me and said it was boring. (That's not what I needed to hear)

I was filling out all our paperwork. 

Still worried about if I was making the right decision. (My cheeks are kinda red here)

Time to pay. 


As I handed over my checks I could feel my phone vibrating in my purse. I checked my phone and Maynard had called me 5 times. I was scared something was wrong. We walked towards the door of the meeting room and I called Maynard back. 

He said the kid's school had been trying to contact us. Maynard had talked with the principal and they were trying to make arrangements for the boys to come back to school. 
Maynard told me it looked like The Lord was making a way for the kids to get to back to school. 
"Big problem, Maynard. I already ordered and paid for their homeschool stuff."

"Well, go cancel it right now."

"I don't think I can.  That's embarrassing."

I was still standing in front of the meeting room door. It was up to me now what I was going to do. 

Then I got excited. 

I walked back in and motioned for the Abeka guy to come talk to me. Yes, I pulled him away from another table. Yes, I knew the people he was meeting with. Yes, it was embarrassing, but I didn't care anymore. The Lord just answered a prayer for my family. 

"Sir, you probably won't believe this, I need to cancel my order I just placed  minutes ago. My kids are going to get to go back to school. We just recieved an answer to prayer."

I held my breath as I watched him go and get our order forms and checks and as he handed them back to me. He looked at me and smiled and said, "Sounds like God had other plans for you."

I walked back in the hallway and pulled Josiah and Titus to the side. I told them I had something to tell them. 

I said, "Looks like y'all are going back to school this year."

Josiah: "Really?  You mean it?" <Insert big smile and a very happy dance>

We went straight to school and got them registered. 



It's still going to be a sacrafice to send them, but it's a sacrafice that is a great investment. 

I'm just amazed at the timing. The Lord worked it out perfectly. Sometimes He knows best at how well He can increase our faith. 

**Homeschool Disclaimer**
For all you homeschool mothers out there, I am not dissing your decision to homeschool your children. It's whatever is best for your family. Clearly we agree that public school is not an option for our children. 
If it came my lot to homeschool my kids then I would have given it my 100%. There's no doubt that I could do it. I rather enjoy school and teaching. Sometimes I wonder if I missed my calling. 
However, my kids love their school. Most of the time I tap them on the shoulder to wake them up for school, only once. They love it and look forward to going every single day. 
I do not doubt the administration or teachers there. I completely trust them with my children's education and the spiritual teaching and guidance that they receive at their school. 
One main reason I want my kids to attend their beloved Christian school is for the social reasons. We attend a small church. There's pretty much 1 other child, their age, that attends. If I homeschooled them they wouldn't really be around any other kids. My kids need their friends and I think it's important for them to have friends. It would be different if we went to a larger church with a big youth group, but we don't. 

Until then..... The back to school countdown is on!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. This post makes me soo happy! I know what it's like to find yourself wondering if your kids will be able to attend their school the next year! We too have seen God work it out for us! What a blessing it is to be able to send them! I have given my all for that school for 10 years and wouldn't trade it for anything..Now as the Lord leads us in a totally different direction we will miss being there! It's the best little Christian school in the whole world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful news! We are grateful for such a wonderful school! I am excited to see how the year will go! See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete