Wednesday, July 2, 2014

A fun summer weekend

Friday morning the kid's little friend Ethan came over and spent the day with us. We had plans on going to the park, but first I had to go have some bloodwork drawn at the hospital. I'm sure people thought I was crazy to bring 4 kids along with me to the hospital, but you gotta do what you gotta do!!

I love these kids. 

Ethan said he didn't eat breakfast and there was a cooking show on the waiting room tv that was about to starve him to death. When they called me back to draw my blood, I took Amelia with me and left Ethan in charge of the boys. He was the oldest, but definitely not the biggest. I was only in the next room. 

I came back and found them in the exact same spot. So I rewarded them with a lap around the pond outside of the hospital. Isn't it odd what kids really beg to do?

We went to the park to meet up with a friend of Amelia's. They had fun playing at the splashpad. It was a blazing hot day. We hung around a couple hours and then they were begging to go home. 

Ethan got to stay pretty late and then he went home. I was gonna let him stay all night, but Josiah was coughing his head off and I figured it would be best to wait until another time. They had a lot of fun playing together all day and I was amazed how there was no fighting and feuding for me to deal with all day. It was kind of nice. 

Saturday morning me and the kids headed out to our local airport for their annual open house. 

I told y'all!  I'm all about this free stuff in our community. 

When we first got there they had a trolley in the parking lot driving people over to the airport. So we stopped to get a picture before our ride.  


Then I got tickled because after the picture I realized the back of the trolley said RTEC. If y'all been reading my blog for awhile then you will know why that struck me funny. Remember when I rode the RTEC van with my kids to OPAC?(Older Persons Activity Center). Still embarrases me this very day. 


They thought riding the trolley was super cool. 

First stop at the airport was the restrooms. Duh!!  Don't get me started on bathroom breaks. I'll add to that on down. 

We walked around and the kids seen a fire truck that was taking people up and down on the ladder. The kids wanted to ride it so we got in line to wait. As soon as my kids got on it, it came a monsoon of rain. I didn't ride because I wanted to get a good picture of them all the way up. It started raining so hard that I had to run under a nearby food tent to keep from getting soaked. So I didn't get the best picture of them all the way up because I was afraid of tearing my phone up. 
Going up.....

Halfway up...

It went pretty high. I made sure the firefighter made them hold on tight. 

By the time they came back down they were soaked. 

We stayed under the food tent until it quit raining. Then we decided to buy hot dogs since they let us out of the rain. 

We then walked around and looked at all the airplanes, jets, and helicopters. 


They loved this army plane. They got to climb all over it and explore. It's an active plane that is used everyday in the army. 

Then they got to pretend to fly an army helicopter. This soldier showed them how to fly it and move gears. Of course that's with it not being started. God help us if any soldier leaves the helicopter keys laying around for Titus to pick up. Ha ha

Amelia was like,"Hmm. This is neat. Now can we go play on the inflatables?"


The air-medic helicopter was really neat. They let the kids climb into that one too. The medic told Titus he could lay on the stretcher, but he refused. Titus has always been afraid of hospital stretchers ever since he seen an ambulance pick someone up before. I had forgotten about it until then. 



We looked around for awhile and the kids began to scream for dippin' dots. 

$6 for a small bowl. They would have had to share that small bowl between the three of them. What's that? Approximately 2 spoonfuls for each of them? I refused, but did allow them a slush puppie each. They enjoyed that just as well. 

 Deep, deep down, I wanted to ride the air-conditioned trolley back to the vehicle, but the kids decided they wanted to ride the hayride back. So that's what they did. It feels weird to have a hayride in 90' weather. 

We left the airport and then they started begging to go to the Wildcat Harley Davidson  place where they were having a birthday party open to the public. They only wanted to go to jump on the inflatables, but it was pouring the rain again and I told them no, much to their dismay. I did promise them we would go that night to watch the fireworks. 

As soon as Maynard got home he was attacked by 3 kids hollering "when are we going to watch fireworks?"

Finally it was time to go and we headed out to find a good spot to watch them. We sat around for a little over an hour waiting. The kids found some other kids to play with in a big open field. Then it was time for the fireworks. 


The first firework went off and Titus had to pee. He couldn't wait. He had to pee right then. So I found a cup for him to pee in inside the van. He's a boy. Easily done. Until he goes back to watch the fireworks and Amelia claims she has to pee. So out comes the same cup. Keep in mind we are surrounded by other vehicles so we had to be as discreet as possible. So she gets done and here comes Josiah. Now he has to pee. "Oh, puhleeze!!!"  I hadn't seen one firework yet. We been parked for over an hour. Now that it's time to watch the fireworks, everyone has to pee. Josiah decided he could wait until he got home when he seen the look on my face. So basically I got to see the grand finale of the firework display. 

Welcome to motherhood. I couldn't wait until they were pottytrained and now sometimes diapers don't seem so bad after all. Ha ha

We had a good weekend and they already want to know what we are doing next. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! My mom has taken the boys to the airport every year..had to miss this year due to our absence. I didn't mention it to them :( the "cup" story is fabulous! Lol! Tell Amelia I like her anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete