Thursday, August 16, 2012

How was I supposed to know what OPAC meant?

*This may be a little different than what Kelly had in mind, but this is really, honestly, truthfully, a picture that I will be embarrassed of forever. You will have to read in down to understand why.  #myembarrassingtbt *

This is probably going to be added as one of my most embarrassing moments.  So be prepared to laugh at my expense, once again.
I noticed in the paper and even heard it on the radio that OPAC AND HSBC was having a block party in the area nearby where I live.  It said itand was open to the public and free.  They were having a fish fry and games like ring toss, balloon bust, cake walks and ect.  Sounds fun don't it.  So I had a plan for a fun filled day.  It started around 10:30 and me, Titus, and Amelia headed to our consignment sale to shop for fall clothes.  Of course we are as poor as Joe's turkey right now, but I had some money put back from my last sale.  I was so proud of how well behaved Titus and Amelia were.  I only had to threaten Titus once so I think that's great.  I found a few deals, but not like I had hoped.  We got back to our car around 12:30 and I put my purchases in my van.  Well, I had remembered that the paper said they would offer public transportation to the block party and pick-up would be at the fire station.  Which also happened to be where the consignment sale waa held.  So we walked over thinking the trolley would be there, but it was nothing but a couple R-tec vans.  I don't know what that stands for either, but they are these white vans who transport either the elderly or handicap people to work or dr's appointments and such.  So I asked if we could ride and they said sure.  So Amelia and Titus were ecstatic to be riding on a bus/van.  The driver took us to the party.  As I stepped  out of the van I quickly realized that I was at a party intended for OLD PEOPLE.  Of course I had wondered why it was from 12-3.  Didn't these people know that kids are in school at that time?  Me and the kids walked around a minute.  I was so glad to see 2 older ladies that I knew and quickly went straight to them.  My plan was to pretend I was with them or something, (Unbeknownst to them, of course).  They instructed me to go get a dinner ticket to eat.  As I wrote my name down the lady also gave me tickets to play some games.  She said, "Here are some game tickets for you, but the kids can't play."  I was like "ok. thanks," but knowing I'm not going to play games when my kids can't.  So we got in line for our free lunch which was fish, fries, hushpuppies, and coleslaw.  I got tickled when the options for drinks were sweet or unsweetened tea.  I mean I like tea, but Titus and Amelia were not too happy.  Luckily we found a water pitcher on the table.  We ate our food which I tried my best to like, but it was kinda gross.  They gave us free ice-cream sandwiches for dessert.  (and they wasn't even sugar free, lol)   Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that my 2 old lady friends were gone.  They disappeared.  Do you think I embarrassed them? Ha I kept my eye out for the r-tec van to come back be cause I never felt so out of place in my lHaife.  It would be the same as my white family being in an all black church kind of feeling.  We waited for about 15 minutes and it never showed so I told the kids we would just walk back because it was only about a mile n half away from our vehicle.  The problem was it was 99 degrees out and I had 2 small kids with me.  At least I had my stroller for Amelia with me.  We stopped and bought us a water bottle at the store and continued to walk.  I had several thoughts going through my head, here's a few, 1) We are actually closer to my house than to my car, should I just go home? 2) But what if Maynard can't pick Josiah up from school and I won't have my van to go get him. 3)I could call someone to come get us. 4) I hate to do that because they would have to drive several miles to only take me a little over a mile. 5)  Will Titus really walk a mile and a half?  6) Dear God, please don't let anyone I know see us, 7) Dear God please let someone see us and pick us up, Ha ha!
We continued to walk on towards the car.  The walk didn't bother me because it wasn't too long ago I was walking 3 miles a day, but I was wearing dressy flip-flops so "ouch".  We walked about halfway.  We stopped to look at a creek, flowers, and even got to stand in front of the railroad tracks and watch a train go by.  As we continued to walk, Titus hollered, "there it is.  There's the bus."  I looked up, but of course it kept going.  Not too much longer, Titus hollered again, "there it is again and it's stopping for us, Mommy."  I looked behind me and there was our driver waving at me to get on. I was thankful yet once again even more embarrassed because here was a handicap van stopping in the middle of a busy road for me.  My kids jumped in and I had to struggle with the stroller to get it closed up and inside.  Then I had to get my kids buckled before she would drive off.  Let's just say we had quite the line up of traffic behind us.  It sure was one embarrassing day for me.  I learned what OPAC stands for today, Older Persons Activities Center.  I apologized to my kids over and over again.  As soon as Josiah got home from school Titus said, "Guess what, Josiah?  We got to ride on a bus and walked on railroad tracks."  Josiah's reply, "Mom, did you really? No fair!!!  Ha ha!  So even though it wasn't that special day I envisioned, Titus still enjoyed something and Josiah thought it was unfair.  It worked out ok after-all.  So in about 30 more years, I have found myself a place to go "PARTY".




Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G Touch

15 comments:

  1. O.k. so next time when we're in town and you tell us about all the fun stuff going on I'll be sure to make sure it's not OPAC! LOL pretty funny. Sounds like something I'd get myself into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remember the kids car show place I took ya'll while you were here? Me and Amelia's pic was in today's paper. I am so thankful our pic didn't show up in the paper for being at the Opac party. lol

      Delete
  2. There is NO blog quite like this one!! Lol Enjoyed reading about your geriatric adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bahahahahahahaha I think I just peed myself! You are quite the dork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are just jealous because you didn't get to ride the short bus.

      Delete
    2. Umm pretty sure I did! Get ur facts straight!

      Delete
  4. Aaahhhhh Melissa, I don't know which is funnier....reading Amy's blog or reading your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa You should call Jackie and invite her... she would have no idea... maybe even have some fun. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a good thing we don't live any closer, glad it was you and not me this time! How were you suppose to know what OPAC meant? Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!!! This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time! Perfect timing to read it, too since I recently got this "Old Fart Booth" on my phone that has had us in STITCHES! It ages you 50 years in 5 seconds and you can add grey hair, glasses, hats...You HAVE to get it now, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a great idea for a pic on this blog. I wish I had thought of that. Maynard did that old booth thing to me and I looked just like my aunt Carolyn Grimes. Ha

      Delete