Wednesday, August 1, 2012

S
o do you all remember the post about how we had bought a camper and I would no longer have to sleep in a tent? Well, guess what? Wrong! We never have used our camper yet because the cables are broken and it needs to be repaired. We didn't get it repaired yet because we are hoping to sell it and get a better one we found. So in the meantime, it's back to the tent scenario. First of all, I think you should know that I love the great "INDOORS". I am not an outside person at all. You may catch me out in the fall though. I love the fall and hearing the leaves crunching as you walk. School is about to start back and we haven't done much this summer besides the kids playing outside or swimming a little bit. Plus, it seems like they have been sick all summer. Hopefully, they get all their sicknesses out this summer and they will all be well during the school year. We decided on a Friday afternoon that we were going to go camping. In a matter of a couple hours we were packed and setting up tents at our local state park. We got a great tent spot that was across from the playground and also right across from the bathrooms. Yay! It could have not have been a better spot for us. My kids were able to ride their bikes all around the big circle around us, play on the playground, and even walk to the bathroom while I was able to watch from my campsite. I brought lots to do that I don't usually let them play in the house. They just got to be kids this weekend and it was nice. We roasted hot dogs and marshmellows for supper. Do your kids actually like roasted marshmellows? Because I noticed my kids just want to do the roasting, but really don't want to eat any. Weird. I mean, I can only eat so many roasted, dirty, burnt marshmellows. Ha! The kids were so dirty that I took them down to the bathhouse and they all took showers. I didn't have soap, washclothes, or towels. I improvised by using a little blanket and hand soap from the sink. Then I got them ready for bed and we read a little bit of Junie B Jones by flashlight and we headed for our tents. The "guys" slept in one tent and me and Amelia slept in the smaller tent. She was not happy when she realized we were really planning on sleeping outside in that tent. She absolutely refused to take her shoes off. Which is funny because when she was smaller she would do that when we stayed all night at my mom's. She was fine with me putting her pj's on, but when I went to take her shoes off she always realized she wasn't going home then. That is what she did camping too. Too funny, so I just let her sleep with her shoes on. She finally drifted off with a lot of crying. She would wake up and start smacking the sides of the tent trying to find the zipper to open it up so she could get out. I layed there feeling so good and relaxed. I was beginning to think that this wasn't too bad afterall. Then it started lightening. Then a little rain. Then a lot of rain. Then more rain and thunder. I was getting spooked, but according to the internet it was only going to rain and storm for no more than an hour or two. Boy was they wrong. It rained all night and we got soaked. We had big puddles of water at our feet. Our blankets and pillows were soaked. I tried my best to keep moving Amelia around so she would stay dry and warm. I layed there and prayed all night that it would stop raining and that we would be safe. Next thing I knew it was morning and the sun was shining bright. Maynard said, "What's for breakfast?" Camping makes a person so hungry! I had brought my griddle along and we had pancakes and sausage links for breakfast. Yummy! The kids had made them some friends and rode bikes all morning. Amelia found her a hill to ride her tricycle on and she loved flying down the hill all by herself. We stayed around until almost noon and then we went and hit the pool for a couple of hours. We picked up a pizza and headed home. Here is the best thing ever that happened this weekend. MY kids went to bed at 5:30 p.m. and did not wake up until Sunday morning for Sunday School. Do you believe that? Camping absolutely wore them out. We had a great time with no major disasters except for the getting wet part, but it could have been worse. Please pray that we sell our camper and we can be able to get a better one. I really don't want to sleep in a tent again, but I will if it means my kids will got to bed at 5:30 the next night! Ha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment