Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Challenge Day #20

I am having serious issues with my phone. They are supposed to replace it by tomorrow, but who knows. Sorry I was late on this one. (I'm pretending people actually have been checking). Today's challenge is 3 significant childhood memories. I do have several of those. My first childhood memory would be when I got saved. It was April 13, 1983. I was 4 fixing to turn 5. I remember praying and crying at my seat. Monty Hart got down and prayed with me. I got back up and sat down. Then Bro. Gerald Taylor came and talked to me and we both went to the alter. It wasn't too much longer and I knew I was saved. I remember testifying how the Lord had saved me and wanted him to save my friends. I really don't have any prior memories to that really. My next one is not really significant, but I remember it and it describes me well. I was in Kindergarten and for story time I volunteered to read to my class the next day. I had no idea how to read, but I had a plan. I chose to read the Little Red Hen.. I sat in the teacher's chair and all the kids were gathered around ME. It was great. I began to "read" my book to them. Truthfully, I wasn't reading that book, but I had it memorized. The kids didn't know, but I could tell my teacher was suspicious. So, I had that figured out too. I stumbled on a word and asked for help from my teacher. Ha ha. It cracks me up. I thought I had her fooled until my mom told me several years later that my teacher had told her about that and how they shared a good laugh. Shucks, I thought I had them fooled. Oh well, at least all them other kiddos thought I was a smart cookie. The 3rd memory has to be when my Dad pastored a church in Red Bowling Springs, Tn. We had to travel 3 1/2 hrs every Friday as soon as we got off the bus. Sometimes we got upset because we missed out on things going on at home on weekends, but we still have lots of good memories anyways that I will always cherish. We had an apartment built on to the church just for us. We had so much fun in that apartment. Sometimes we would have church friends from back home to come stay with us. There would be so many of us crammed into that little 2 bedroom apt. Of course that made it even more fun. We met some dear friends there named the Dillinghams. Oh, how we loved them! They owned a little country store and we had free reign of candy and deli sandwiches. Can you imagine 6 kids turned loose in the candy aisle?? (Jacob wasn't born yet) After we quit pastoring there they continued being good friends of ours. They would come visit and have a small brown bag with candy for each of us. They were the first to give us rock or pop candy. I had been married nearly a year when Danny D. passed away. I was able to attend his funeral and I am so glad I got too. They were great friends of our family and gave us a lot of cherished memories. I had a great childhood with lots of memories. Not sure why I chose these 3, but it was what I felt like talking about. Wow, I'm feeling so sentimental now. Gonna go have a good cry now.

6 comments:

  1. Why you gotta go and talk about Danny for. sniff sniff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but he really was a big part of our lives.

      Delete
  2. You made me cry!!!!!! I don't cry over blogposts!!!!!!! Why was Danny so special to us???? It tears me up!!!!!! I wish we could go back and see the Tennessee church and apartment again, It would be neat to revive those old memories that fade. But I remember it as a 2 1/2 hour drive, still crazy drive every weekend for 2 years with 6 kids. And remember when we had revival there our principal let us "homeschool" it for a week so we wouldn't be counted absent? I remember doing schoolwork on the church pews during the day. Oh my goodness....I can't remember the names of the two old sisters!!!!! What were their names??????? OH wait...Alma and ????? starts with an E?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. took me a couple hours but I finally thought of her name.....Isabelle!

      Delete
    2. For the life of me I couldn't reply back to you yesterday. I was like it's Isabelle!! I'll always connect the smells of moth balls to Alma's house. Lol

      Delete
  3. You are very blessed to say you had a wonderful childhood!!

    ReplyDelete