Sunday, February 3, 2013

February Challenge Day #3

Day #3 challenge asks about my relationship with my parents. My parents are Don and Val Harper of Cecilia, Ky. Dad is a veteran of the US army and served in the Vietnam war. He then retired from Fort Knox as a civilian and began his own electrical company, Harper's Electronics, which he continues to operate today. My Mom married Dad her senior year
in highschool. (maybe jr, not sure) Mom worked at Lakers Drive-In while Dad was away in the army. God spared Dad's life many times and brought him home safely to his wife. They were invited to church and went on a promise that my Aunt would never ask them to go again. Thankfully, God gloriously saved both of them that night. My Mom didn't know anything about God! My parents were "blessed" with 7 kids. I happened to be the middle child. Church was a big part of our life. It's all we knew. My Dad pastored a few churches while when we were growing up. I had a great relationship with my parents as a child. I tried to help my Mom when she needed help around the house and I always was close to my Dad. People say we are a lot alike. My Dad likes to laugh and cut up and I do too. After I graduated from school, I worked a full time job and would often call Mom to go eat lunch with me. My parents always worked hard to provide for us. We always had good Christmases and even ate out quite a bit. I'm not sure how in the world they raised 7 kids and we got all those extra treats. If we were poor, we sure didn't know it because they tried their best to give us what we wanted. I got engaged and broke my Dad's heart. He didn't want me to move away and he depended on my help at our church. He soon came to terms with it though. Ha ha Now I am over 2 hrs away and of course that puts a strain on our relationship, but we still see each other about every other month or so. My mom has an I-phone so we keep up through texts and Instagram. Dad is in bad health with a diseased heart and I worry about him. Congratulations are in order because they are now blessed with a debt free life which includes a home of their very own God miraculously blessed them with. I'm sure this takes some pressure off them having to work so hard all the time. I was blessed with great parents and I am very thankful for them. (they read my blog, wink......wink)

3 comments:

  1. Love your post! Post like these bring tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving these! Your mom looks like a teenager in that pic :) I will participate along the way...

    ReplyDelete