Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Challenge Day #6

Here is Titus 3 yrs later with his 1st bottle of pills, legally. Ha
What is the hardest thing I have ever experienced? Well, I am blessed to say that I haven't had to go through a lot of traumatic experiences in my life like some people have. I can think of several things I could list, but I would probably have to say the hardest thing I had to ever experience was the day Titus took 5 sleeping pills. Now that I'm a mother, there's no greater fear than something happening to one of your babies. Well this was a dreadful day, but God was merciful. I'll be brief in summarizing what happened that day: I was 8 mths very preggo with Amelia in November of 2004. My Mamaw Ruby had passed away and we had went to stay with my parents to go to the funeral. Let me add that I loved my Mamaw dearly. I have many great memories of her. On the day of the funeral were the only ones at the house besides my brother Jacob. We were getting ready and answering the never ending phone calls. Titus had just turned 2 and I hollered for him to come to the bedroom so I could dress him. He came to me and was acting really weird. He was spacey acting and very clumsy. I was laughing at him because I thought he was being silly. Then I stood him up and he just fell face forward into my lap. That's when I began to question if something was wrong. Between Mom, Dad, and Jacob, that house was like a pharmacy. Dad has heart pills and sugar pills. I screamed, "I bet he has got into some medicine." We both panicked and ran to the car. I had to come back in though because I realized I was still just wearing a slip. We prayed and squalled all the way to the hospital. They took us in right away. Titus wad still grinning like a drunk man. He couldn't hold his head up and couldn't walk. We had sent word to my family what was going on. My Aunt went back to the house with my brother to check for open medicine bottles. They called saying they had found a bottle of my mom's sleeping pills on her nightstand. The lid was laying back on top of the bottle, but it wasn't closed. The bottle was empty. We were giving the info to the dr while on the phone with my aunt and he quickly assured us we could calm down and that he was gonna be ok. Come to find out, the pills he took are also used in children to calm them before surgeries when they take them from their mommies. He had just taken a higher dose for his age. They gave him charcoal mixed with ice cream to drink and he loved it. They said he didn't have to drink anymore, but he cried for it. Lol He was covered in black. We had to stay at the hospital until Titus could walk again. Everytime the dr came in and tried to walk him, Titus would fall straight down. We were at the hospital for about 10 hrs which meant I had missed my Mamaw's funeral. Also, during these 10 hrs, Titus never fell asleep. Not one time. Finally, Titus was able to get his footing and we were released to go. We went back to mom and Dads so we could stay close by the hospital instead of driving back home. Titus was wirey and wild. He refused to lay down and this big pregnant momma was really needing to collapse! Finally about 3:30 a.m. the poor child closed his eyes and went to sleep. We couldn't understand why he never went to sleep all them hours after taking sleeping pills. Comes to find out, meds like benadryl that are supposed to make you sleepy, actually has the opposite effect on him. They make him even wilder. So when the pharmacist tells me, "This will make him a little drowsy.", I tend to say back, "You want to bet?" What a horrible, scary day that was. I can look back now and see how the hand of God protected my baby that day!!!

4 comments:

  1. I think that was one of the scariest days of my life, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very scary!! What is the hardest thing I have ever experienced? Hands down, Cameron's open-heart surgery. Ive never been so scared in my life!! I remember collasping in Todd's arm as the nurses took him to surgery. The nurse came to take him out of my arms and I couldn't let go. God definately protected my baby that day. But, not only that day, He continues to protect him. I pray that God continues to bless us with a healthy, and active Cambo! Praying for no more surgeries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that day so clearly. Im so glad Cameron is healthy now!

      Delete
  3. I think I would have died with worry if this had been me....Sounds like you handled it well!

    ReplyDelete